Lasagna is a comfort food to many people with all the melted cheese, garlic, tomatoes. and oodles of noodles. Personally, I have never been a big fan in the sense that it’s ok, but it is not something I will choose if given a choice. So, I was really surprised when I started thinking of ways to make gluten free dairy free lasagna.
Now I need to clarify here, when I talk about dairy free I mean from the cow. I have noticed that some people consider dairy free to mean cow products and others mean it to include sheep and goat products also.
I had recently come across Boars Head goat cheese in the Deli at HEB and when I realized it was a pretty good melting cheese the ideas and possibilities started multiplying.
The aroma and rich flavors of two different goat cheeses melted over gluten free noodles swimming in fire roasted tomato sauce is a great way to tease the appetite and welcome your guests into your home.
- 6 brown rice lasagna noodles
- 12 thin slices Boars Head goat cheese from the Deli
- Marinara Sauce:
- 1 pound hamburger meat, browned
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅔ cup green onions sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 28 ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces chevre's goat cheese
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Sautee green onions and garlic for one minute then add basil, parsley, cilantro, salt, pepper, tomatoes and hamburger meat and simmer over low heat.
- In small sauce pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, chevre's goat cheese and coconut milk over low heat. Stir until melted - consistency should be runny.
- Spray 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half the meat and marinara sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Lay three lasagna noodles on top and spread half of the cheese sauce over the noodles. Lay six slices of goat cheese on top.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.