Lentil chili is a wonderful meatless one pot meal that is very filling and bursting with spicy flavor. One of the things I like about this recipe is that it is quick and easy to make. It takes less than one hour to chop the vegetables, cook, and serve.
First you chop the onion and red bell pepper and crush the garlic cloves. Then you sauté them and the seasonings in a little olive oil for a few minutes. Then add the lentils, apple juice, and water and simmer for about 15 minutes. I know it sounds weird adding apple juice but the blending of flavors creates a spectacularly delicious chili.
Lastly add two cans of drained beans of your choice and simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Beans that work well in this recipe are red kidney beans, black beans, or pinto beans. Before serving add one or more of these toppings to your lentil chili: chopped red onion, avocado, grated goat cheese, gluten free chips, chopped fresh cilantro.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 cup apple juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 - 14.5 ounce cans beans of your choice - red kidney, black, or pinto
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder or smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Optional - ⅛-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Sauté chopped onion and red bell pepper, crushed garlic, and seasonings in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add red lentils, apple juice and water. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add two cans of drained beans of your choice and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: Top with chopped red onion, avocado, chopped cilantro, grated goat cheese or gluten free chips before serving.