Quick and easy, this sauerbraten makes a perfect meal to grace your Sunday dinner table.
Lately I’ve been craving some good Austrian food so I made this new easier method of sauerbraten that uses ingredients I can eat. It tastes just as good as the original recipe for a fraction of the time.
This is my go to recipe when I cook Austrian food for guests. It is such a crowd pleaser and I always get many compliments on it.
- 2 and ½ - 3 pounds pork loin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups filtered water
- 10 ounces plain unsweetened goat yogurt or kefir - Paleo diet try using coconut milk yogurt
- 4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 and ½ teaspoons sea salt
- In large skillet brown all sides of the pork loin in the olive oil.
- Add seasonings, water, and yogurt and stir. I have used both yogurt and kefir in this recipe and they both work equally well. If you follow the Paleo diet you can try unsweetened coconut or almond milk yogurt instead. I have not tried it so I am not sure if you would be able to taste the coconut or almond flavor.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer on low heat for 2 and ½ hours stirring occasionally.
- Put pork loin on platter and let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Pour sauce in gravy boat and serve.