My family loves apple pie, especially for Thanksgiving dinner. If you feel the same way, this gluten free apple pie is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving get together with friends and family.
Wrapped in a delicious flaky gluten free crust, these tart granny smith apples are coated with cinnamon, nutmeg, and xylitol then baked until the crust is golden brown and the apple slices soft and juicy.
Mmmm, I can already smell that cinnamon apple goodness. This gluten free apple pie can be served hot and straight out of the oven or cold from the refrigerator…and don’t forget to top it off with vanilla coconut milk ice cream.
- 2 Paleo or Vegan gluten free pie crusts or make this recipe twice:
- ½ cup millet flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- 1 tablespoon xylitol
- 8 tablespoons cold salted butter (goat or cow) cubed
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened goat kefir
- 6 large granny smith apples
- 1 cup xylitol
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Use a different pie crust if you are Paleo or Vegan. If making the crust instead of buying one: Add millet flour, tapioca flour, quinoa flour, xylitol, and cubed butter in food processor and pulse until mixture looks like coarse crumbles.
- Add goat kefir one tablespoon at a time until it forms into a dough.
- Shape into a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Repeat for second crust.
- Meanwhile peel apples, core them, and slice into thin slices and put in large bowl.
- In small bowl mix the xylitol, cinnamon, and nutmeg together, then pour over apple slices and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Pull one crust out of refrigerator, unwrap and roll out between two floured parchment papers to about ⅛ inch thickness. Gently remove top parchment paper and transfer to 9 inch pie pan sprayed with cooking spray pressing into bottom and sides of pan.
- Remove other parchment paper, then fill crust with apple mixture.
- Take second crust out of refrigerator, unwrap and roll out between two floured parchment papers to about ⅛ inch thickness. Gently remove top parchment paper and transfer to cover top of pie pan.
- Fold excess crust under and crimp top and bottom crust together. Cut slits in top crust to vent.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Cover with foil and continue baking for another 30-45 minutes until apples are soft . Let cool before cutting into slices.