It is really easy to make gluten free Caesar salad. I’m not sure why it took me so long to make it because it is one of my favorite salads.
I guess one reason was the croutons. When you can’t have yeast or gluten it makes it hard when the recipe calls for bread. Thankfully, here recently I came across Sami’s Bakery Bread which does not have either in it’s recipe. So I spread goat butter on two slices of bread, seasoned them with garlic powder, cut them into small chunks and toasted them in the oven to make gluten free croutons.
When I was making this recipe I did not have any lemon juice on hand so I used apple cider vinegar instead. It worked just as well so I decided to leave it in the recipe. You can add grilled chicken or shrimp to this gluten free Caesar salad to make it a main entrée instead of a side dish.
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- ⅓ cup pecorino romano cheese (sheep), or vegan parmesan or nut cheese for Paleo diet
- gluten free garlic croutons
- Caesar dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil Vegenaise
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon anchovy paste
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper to top salad
- Gluten free garlic croutons:
- If making your own gluten free croutons spread butter (cow or goat), ghee, or earth balance on two slices of bread and season with garlic powder. Cut into small chunks and toast in oven at 375 degrees until bread is toasted through about 20 minutes. Check it often to make sure it does not burn.
- Caesar Dressing:
- Whisk ingredients for dressing in small bowl until well combined.
- Wash, dry and chop romaine lettuce.
- In large bowl toss lettuce, croutons, dressing and romano cheese together.
- Grind some fresh black pepper over salad and serve.