A delicious creamy gluten free chicken pot pie packed with veggies and savory spices and topped with a golden brown pastry. Comfort food doesn’t get any better than this.
Growing up I loved it when my mom made her homemade chicken pot pie for dinner. She would make individual pies for everyone. I am not that industrious but I do make mine from scratch like she did.
Chicken pot pie is very easy to make and the recipe is easy to modify. You can make your crust from scratch like I did with my gluten free pie crust or buy a ready made crust. It can be gluten free or not. If you are on the Paleo diet make sure you use a grain free crust.
Use veggies that are tried and true or branch out and try something different. Since I can’t eat a large amount of carrots, peas, and potatoes I decided to try fresh green beans, celery, and broccoli instead.
You can roast or boil your chicken or use left overs (I use my roasted tamari chicken). Or, you can just pick up a roasted chicken from the store.
The coconut milk can easily be replaced with regular milk if you don’t have to worry about dairy products.
So no matter how you make it, this gluten free chicken pot pie is sure to become a favorite meal at your house too.
- 1 gluten free pie crust
- 3 tablespoons goat butter (can substitute with ghee, olive oil, or earth balance)
- ½ yellow onion - minced
- 3 stalks celery - thinly sliced
- ¼ - ⅓ pound fresh green beans - snapped
- 1 small crown broccoli - cut into florets
- 3 cups shredded roasted tamari chicken
- 4 tablespoons millet flour (can substitute grain free flour or leave out- sauce won't be as thick)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon each pepper and sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon sage
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- In large pot saute onions, celery, and green beans in goat butter or olive oil over medium-high heat for a few minutes until green beans turn bright green.
- Stir in shredded chicken and millet flour or substitute flour until it is all combined and there are no clumps of flour. I used my roasted tamari chicken but you can use any boiled or roasted chicken, even store bought roasted chicken.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings, stir and let it cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk to the pot and let it bubble up. Turn off the heat.
- Roll out your pie crust to fit a 13x9 baking dish. If you are using my crust recipe roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Gently peel the top piece of parchment paper off.
- Spray the baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the filling into the baking dish, add the broccoli florets and smooth out.
- Set the filled dish next to your crust. Gently take the end of the parchment paper with the crust that is furthest away from the dish and slide the crust onto the dish. Gently peel the parchment paper off.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.