Gumbo is a Cajun dish that is very popular in Houston. In fact most Houstonians believe if you live in Houston you must know how to make good gumbo. This is my recipe for delicious gluten free chicken and sausage gumbo.
You start off with making a gluten free roux. I used millet flour and grapeseed oil in my recipe. Then you add the vegetables and simmer a few minutes until soft. Add the Cajun seasoning, the gluten free broth, the okra, the browned chicken thighs and sausage and cook for 1 and 1/2 hours.
Take the chicken thighs out of the pot and shred the chicken. Add back to the pot and stir. Lastly serve in bowls over cooked rice. Enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil - divided
- 1 pound gluten free sausage - I used Prasek's smoked sausage
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs - 4 thighs
- 3 tablespoons millet flour
- 1 green bell pepper - chopped
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion - chopped
- 5-6 cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 pound okra - sliced
- 1 cup strained tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cooked rice
- Slice sausage into half moons. Heat one tablespoon oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat and brown the sausage, about 5 minutes. Take the sausage out of Dutch oven and place on plate.
- Season chicken thighs with Cajun seasoning, place in the Dutch oven and brown each side for 2-3 minutes. Take chicken out of Dutch oven and place on plate with sausage and set aside.
- Let Dutch oven cool slightly. Make a roux in the Dutch oven with 3 tablespoons oil and millet flour over medium high heat. Whisk continually until the roux turns a caramel color about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, stirring often to make sure the roux doesn't burn.
- Add the broth while stirring with a flat wooden spoon scraping the bottom of the Dutch oven. Then add the rest of the ingredients including the sausage and the chicken thighs. Turn heat up and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium and simmer for 1 and ½ hours.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the Dutch oven and shred the chicken. Add back to the Dutch oven and stir. S
- erve in bowls over cooked rice. Enjoy!