I was playing around with some ideas for a new dessert I wanted to try out on some friends who were coming over for dinner the other day. Their daughter is vegan and I wanted a dessert that all of us could eat so I whipped up these scrumptious gluten free seven layer bars.
These gluten free seven layer bars are vegan and paleo friendly and perfect for company or for a party…no one will know they are gluten and sugar free. They were so good we gobbled them right up. Every now and then everyone needs something gooey and delicious even if it does have a lot of calories.
So, sit down and enjoy one…or two…or three.
- 1 can coconut milk
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon xylitol or equivalent sweetener of choice divided
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¾ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¾ cup Lily's chocolate chips or other dairy free chocolate chips
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In small pan bring coconut milk to a boil. Whisk to keep the coconut milk from boiling over or burning.
- Add ¼ cup of xylitol or sweetener of choice, turn heat to low, and whisk until sweetener is dissolved. Simmer for 30 minutes whisking occasionally.
- Pour into a covered container and cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Mix the almond flour, 1 tablespoon xylitol or equivalent sweetener, and coconut oil together. Add the pecans and mix.
- Spray 8x8 glass dish with cooking spray and press mixture into bottom of dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes and let cool.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes, nuts, and chocolate chips evenly over crust.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over the dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool. Use a knife around the edges of the dish to loosen the bars, then cut into squares.