I fell in love with this grilled romaine steak salad on a homeschool trip in Washington D.C. with my daughter Michaela, my friend Shanna, and her daughter Madison. We spent 2 amazing weeks in the area learning about American history.
This salad is one of many great memories of this trip. Now that we have a new grill I couldn’t resist making this simple yet delicious salad again.
The tri tip steak strips and hearts of romaine lettuce do not take very long to grill. After grilling let the meat rest for about 5 minutes before slicing. Then mix olive oil with some minced garlic, chopped chives, dill, and parsley. Place romaine hearts on platter, add sliced steak on top, drizzle seasoned oil over steak and your ready to eat this amazing grilled romaine steak salad for two.
- 2 strips flap or sirloin tip steak - a little less than 1 pound (is also called Tri Tip steak)
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon chopped chives
- ¼ teaspoon chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon chopped dill
- ½ teaspoon each sea salt and coarse ground pepper +
- Cut both hearts of romaine in half lengthwise. Then brush the cut side of each half with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of salt with ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper. Sprinkle salt and pepper mixture thickly over strips of steak (depending on size of strips you will probably have some left over).
- Grill steak strips on medium-high heat turning every two minutes for 6-8 minutes. You want to cook the steaks to medium with a little pink showing when sliced.
- Take meat off grill and set aside to rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice against the grain.
- Grill the romaine hearts cut side down until slightly charred on edges.
- Mix olive oil with minced garlic, parsley, chives, and dill.
- Place hearts of romaine cut side up on platter, add sliced steak on top and drizzle oil mixture over meat.
- Serve immediately.