Shrimp tapas (TAH-pahs) are a very popular Spanish appetizer of shrimp smothered in a delicious garlic sauce. Oftentimes bread is served with it to sop up all that lovely garlic sauce.
The other day I had some shrimp I needed to cook and decided these tapas sounded really good. They are so quick and easy to make. Sauté the shrimp in olive oil until they start to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, and lemon juice and cook until shrimp turns opaque, another 2 minutes. Add fresh chopped parsley, transfer to serving bowl and it’s ready to serve.
This classic Spanish dish is not only served as an appetizer but also as a main dish. Either way these shrimp tapas in garlic sauce are to die for and can become very addictive, you may find them becoming a weekly dish.
- 1 pound shrimp
- ½ cup olive oil
- 8-10 garlic cloves - about 1 and ½ tablespoons crushed or minced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Sauté shrimp in olive oil until they start turning pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add crushed or minced garlic. red pepper flakes, paprika, and lemon juice and cook until shrimp turns opaque about another two minutes. The time will depend on what size the shrimp are. Do not overcook or the shrimp will become rubbery.
- Add the fresh chopped parsley, transfer to a serving dish and serve with gluten free bread is desired.