Caponata salad is the Sicilian dish of eggplant simmered in sweet and sour sauce.
Although there are a variety of recipes that all vary, certain ingredients like eggplant, onion, tomato, olive oil, and vinegar are constant. Capers, olives, pine nuts, bell peppers, raisins, parsley, basil, and oregano are other flavorful ingredients commonly found in this salad.
Balancing salty and sweet flavors, this vibrant caponata salad can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature.
- 1 pound eggplant
- ½ red onion minced
- 2 stalks celery sliced thin
- 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup olives
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons xylitol
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, parsley
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- Peel and cube the eggplant. Place eggplant in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle with salt to draw out the moisture. Let sit for 30 minutes then pat dry.
- Heat oil in large skillet, add eggplant, onion, and celery and cook on medium until eggplant is soft about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley and red pepper flakes, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In small bowl stir vinegar and xylitol together then add olives and capers. Add to skillet and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Can be served hot, cold or at room temperature.