These last two weeks we have been visiting our daughter in Colorado and friends and family along the way. On our way to Rocky Mountain National Park one day we stopped in this wonderful little shop that sells homemade cider and delicious canned foods like pumpkin butter. It sounded really good so I decided to make some sugar free pumpkin butter.
It’s really easy to make. I used a can of pumpkin puree, some unsweetened apple cider, xylitol and several spices. I wanted it to have a lovely fall spice flavor so added cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Stir all ingredients in saucepan and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Spread some of this sugar free pumpkin butter on gluten free bread, gluten free pancakes, or gluten free waffles, or dab on some fruit like apples and you have a delicious and healthy breakfast or snack.
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup xylitol
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple cider
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and stir to combine.
- Heat on medium-high until it starts to bubble, then turn to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes to thicken the butter and deepen the warm fall flavoring.
- Let cool before storing in glass jar. Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.