Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Squares GF&SF
I’m excited to share this sugar free pumpkin squares recipe with you. It’s that time of year again where Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner and sugary sweets are in abundance. For awhile now I’ve been thinking of ways to make some no bake sugar free pumpkin squares that were creamy, pumpkin-y, and chocolaty.
I wanted to use cream cheese in the recipe and at Whole Foods Market found some by Kite Hill. They make an almond cream cheese but it has xanthan gum in it which I cannot have so I decided to use chevre goat cheese in place of the cream cheese. For those of you who are vegan and want to try this recipe it should be fairly simple to switch out the goat cheese for the vegan cream cheese.
I love chocolate and was excited several years ago when I came across this Homemade Chocolate Bars recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie which inspired my chocolate layer in this recipe. Personally I like the dark chocolate but some may think it is too bitter. In these sugar free pumpkin squares the sweetness of the pumpkin filling and the nutty flavor of the crust offset the dark chocolate. I hope you enjoy these as much as Rod and I do.
- Nut Crust:
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons xylitol, powdered - I used my Nutri-bullet
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- Pumpkin Filling:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 ounces chevre goat cheese, softened
- ½ cup xylitol, powdered
- Chocolate Layer:
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 9 droppers liquid stevia
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- pinch of salt
- For the crust:
- Mix the almond flour, xylitol and coconut oil together. Add the pecans and mix.
- Spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray and press crust into bottom of pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes and let cool..
- For the pumpkin filling:
- In large bowl beat goat cheese and xylitol with mixer.
- Add pumpkin and mix well.
- Spread pumpkin filling over cooled crust.
- For the chocolate layer:
- Melt coconut oil.
- Add other ingredients and stir until well blended.
- Pour over pumpkin filling and smooth out.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for thirty minutes.
- Cut in squares and serve.