This delicious recipe for gluten free roasted chicken has been a favorite in my family for several years. My friend Josha shared it with me, along with several other recipes, when I was relearning how to cook with all my food restrictions. She was such an encouragement to me… thank you Josha.
This gluten free roasted chicken is very easy to make, sprinkle some garlic powder and pepper on it, pour some tamari sauce over it, stick it in the oven and cook. Just add some stir fry vegetables and you have a great meal with little effort. I like to buy a 5 1/2 pound whole chicken so that there is plenty of leftover chicken to shred for soups and other dishes like chicken pot pie. If you are roasting the chicken to shred, this size will give you enough for two different dishes. Use half and freeze the other half. And of course I save the carcass by freezing it for making chicken broth.
- 5 and ½ pound whole chicken
- tamari sauce
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove giblets from chicken and rinse chicken. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Lay chicken in baking dish and sprinkle with garlic powder and black pepper.
- Slowly pour tamari sauce over chicken to coat. You want it to be more of a trickle, just enough to coat it.
- Turn the chicken over so the breast is on top and repeat with the garlic powder, pepper, and tamari sauce.
- Place in oven on rack in middle of oven and roast for 1 and ½ hours.
- Let cool slightly and serve.