This savory gluten free zucchini pie is a crowd pleaser and perfect for potlucks. Last Sunday our church Lifeteam got together for lunch after services. I brought my zucchini pie to share with everyone and it got rave reviews. (I was so happy!) Since a couple of people asked for my recipe I decided to go ahead and post it now instead of a few weeks from now.
This zucchini pie is very easy to tailor to your needs. For instance, I use my gluten free pie crust but you can just as easily use a store bought crust (regular or gluten free). Changing this recipe from a main dish to a side dish is as easy as pie, just leave out the hamburger meat. For those of you who cannot eat cheese (cow, sheep, or goat) exchange the goat cheese with vegan cheese. Since vegan cheese usually has things in it I cannot eat I have not tried it in my recipe. However, there are other recipes out there that use vegan cheese so I am assuming it would taste good.
So come on, get creative, and try this delicious gluten free zucchini pie.
- 1 gluten free pie crust
- 1 pound hamburger meat, browned
- 4 small zucchini, sliced thin
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 and ½ tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2-3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups grated goat cheddar cheese
- Spray 13x9 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- I used my recipe for the pie crust but you can use any pie crust of your choosing. If you made my crust, then roll into a ball, flatten it out in your hands and put in middle of casserole dish. Using fingers, push the dough until it covers the bottom and sides of the dish. If using a different recipe roll out the pie crust to fit the casserole dish and transfer to the dish.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat cook onions and zucchini in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add seasonings and simmer for another 3 minutes. Take off heat and mix in hamburger meat.
- In large bowl whisk eggs. Add grated cheese and mix well.
- Add egg and cheese mixture to zucchini, stir, and pour into casserole dish with pie crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until knife inserted into middle comes out clean.