This Krautfleisch recipe is a popular Austrian dish of sauerkraut with pork seasoned with caraway seeds and paprika. Some like to add a little sour cream to it before serving.
It is a very easy one pot meal. Krautfleisch can be eaten by itself or with gluten free bread to round it out like most Austrians do.
Cooking this Krautfleisch recipe in the slow cooker is very easy. Put sauerkraut, broth, and caraway seeds in the slow cooker and turn it on low. Cut the pork into small cubes and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sauté meat in a little oil in a skillet until browned, then add a little water and simmer for a few minutes. Add pork with water to slow cooker. Then add the paprika and stir. Liquid should come to top of sauerkraut. Cook on low for 5 hours. Then serve.
- 24 ounce jar sauerkraut
- 2 and ½ cups broth
- 2 and ½ tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 pound pork loin
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- Put sauerkraut, broth, and caraway seeds in slow cooker and turn on low.
- Cut pork loin into small cubes, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a skillet with a little oil sauté meat until browned. Add water and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add meat and water to slow cooker. Then add paprika and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for about 5 hours, then serve.